“When I paint, I feel God’s pleasure!”
Carolyn Sihler Connors
I was born and raised in a small village in Northern Wisconsin where my parents were Lutheran missionaries to the Winnebago and Oneida Indian tribes. Yet the church community to which I belonged had many Norwegian people and it was not unusual to hear spoken in one day English, German, Norwegian, Winnebago and Onieda.
The beautiful Winnebago and Oneida beadwork and basketry which my father marketed for the Native Americans has influenced my work as well as the art that my mother, a Lutheran missionary daughter, brought from China. The tall pines and birch trees, the clean air and clear water of my childhood environment inspire the bright colors and sense of clarity in my work.
I have always been fascinated by the similarity and repetition of design in cultures throughout the world. Basic symbols and patterns are used over and over. Design and color inspire me.
The past few years, spending time in Florida, I have had fun looking at the faces and figures I see. My sense of humor has given some of my work a new twist that delights me and seems to delight others.
I cannot remember a time when I did not want to be an artist. I paint things that I have deep feelings about such as my children, heirlooms and things from Norway that are part of my heritage. I love to paint subjects that will bring one’s attention to joy and light.
Varieties of mediums and materials:
- The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota- Cum Laude (Major in Art, Minor in Education and Speech)
- The Dallas Museum School, Dallas, Texas.
- The University of Dallas, Graduate work in painting at both schools.
- Traveled extensively in Europe and Mexico.
Awards and Exhibits
- Indianapolis Museum of Art - The works of Carolyn Connors featured in the Alliance Studio Tour - August 12, 2008
- A Woman's Life... So Far - October 30 thru November 27, 2006 - The works of artist Carolyn Connors on display at the Hilbert Circle Theater, home of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
- Emotions on the Surface - 2006, April 1 - May 20. Juror, Donald Miller, Critic, historian, and author. One painting selected for exhibit of 98 paintings; 123 entries. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- (Wo) Man’s Best Friend: No Dogs Allowed - 2005-2006, December 10 - January 21. Juror, Steven Burkart, Artist. One painting selected in exhibit of 29 paintings and 76 entries. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- 10th Annual Artists Studio Tour - 2005, Friends of Art, Naples Museum of Art, Sunday, March 14, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. and Monday, March 15, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. One of seven artists on tour.
- 44th Annual Juried Founders Exhibition - 2004, November 9 through December 27. Juror, Robetrt Gelinas, Professor of Art, University of South Florida, Tampa. One painting selected in exhibit of 125 paintings and sculptures. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- Faces, Figures and Flowers - 2004, May 14 - July 5. Happy Trails Gallery, One Woman Exhibit of 20 Paintings. Indianapolis, IN.
- Grey Oaks Country Club Members Exhibit, 2006, 2004, 2002. Naples, Florida
- Six Points of View - 2003, Sun Trust Bank, February 20 - March 20, Six Woman Exhibit of Paintings, Suntrust Bank, Fifth Avenue, Naples, Florida.
- Art Encounter- 2002, February 22 through March 30, 2002. Juror, Bonnie Clearwater, Executive Director and Chief Curator, Museum of Contemporary Art, MoCA, Miami, Florida. One painting selected for exhibit of 75 paintings and sculptures- 407 entries. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- 42nd Annual Juried Founders Exhibition, November 9 through December 29, 2001. Juror, Jennifer Hardin, Curator of Collection and Exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida. One painting selected for exhibit of 62 paintings and sculptures- 199 entries. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- Pop Art!, July 20 through September 1. Juror, Kevin Dean, Director of the Selby Gallery, Ringling School of Art and Design. One painting selected for exhibit of 15 paintings. Naples Art Association, von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- Women Contemporary Artists, May 11 through June 1, 2001. Juror, Michael Milkovich, St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts, Ringling School of Art and Design, Selby Gallery. One painting selected for exhibit, Sarasota, Florida.
- 41st Annual Juried Founders Exhibition, March 23 - May 5, 2001. Juror, Ken Rollins, Executive Director of the Gulf Coast Museum of Art in Pinellas County, Florida. One painting selected for exhibit of 57 paintings and sculptures --175 entries. von Liebig Art Center, Naples, Florida.
- Marshall Field & Co., Exhibition and selling of paintings by American Artists. Eight paintings purchased by Marshall Fields for their State Street Gallery, May, 1975.
- 2719 Gallery, Dallas, Texas, Exhibit of 20 paintings by artist in two woman show with Martha Gilbert, Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, December 1971.
- 135th Annual Delta Exhibition, November 1970, Juror, John Canaday, Art Critic, New York Times. One painting selected for exhibit of 69 paintings and sculptures - from 700 entries. Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Best of Oil category in the Texas Fine Art Association, Art Odyssey of Fall, 1969, Juror Henry Hopkins of the Ft. Worth Art Museum and School.
- Outstanding Female Student in Art Ed., University of Minnesota.
- The Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indiana. One woman exhibit of 22 paintings, Indiana Artists Gallery, Fall, 1983.
- The Children's Museum, Indianapolis, Indiana. One woman exhibit of 21 paintings. Show titled "Joy at Christmas". Museum collected work by artist from throughout the United States, December - January, 1979 - 1980.
- John Nelson Bergstrom Museum and Art Center, Neenah, Wisconsin. One woman exhibit of Holiday Themes, Terrace Gallery, December 3 - 29, 1975.
Paintings have been published as Christmas greeting cards by H. George Caspari, New York, Sunrise Publications, Bloomington, Indiana, The Norwegian American Museum, Decorah, Iowa, and the Cradle Society, Evanston, Illinois.
Paintings have been published as covers for The Indianapolis Cultural Calender and Indiana Right to Life, Indianapolis, Indiana.
One Woman Exhibits of Paintings and Serigraphs:
- The Tamarack Gallery, Stillwater, Minnesota
- Lake Forest Gallery, Lake Forest, Illinois
- The Evanston State Bank, Evanston, Illinois
- The Northbrook Library, Northbrook, Illinois
- The Winnetka Women's Club, Winnetka, Illinois
Juried Art Fairs
- Old Orchard, Skokie, Illinois
- The Penrod, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Art in the Park, Naples Art Association, Naples, Florida
- 1985-1989- Teacher of Logic and Thinking, Park Tudor School- Project Boost Summer School- Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1991-1996- Trustee, Landmark College, Putney, Vermont.
- 1995-Chairman of 10 year Anniversary Weekend and Gala, Landmark College, Putney, Vermont.
- 1996-1999- St. Thomas University, Miami, Florida- Religious Studies, Certificate awarded in Spiritual Companionship and Direction, May 1999.
- 1992-2002- Co-Leader and Teacher of Focusing Seminars
Carolyn Sihler Connor's paintings and limited edition serigraphs are in private collections in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, Scotland, China, New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Winnetka, Scottsdale, Dallas, Indianapolis and other cities. Galleries who have represented her are The Indianapolis Museum of Arts, Indiana Artists Gallery; Neville Sargent Gallery, Evanston, Illinois; Park Gallery, Louisville, Kentucky; and Boody Fine Arts, Inc., Jefferson City, Missouri, Douglas- Baker Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota.